Located in the heart of Memphis, TN, Nesbit Park – Stanky Creek Trails is a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts. With its beautiful scenery and challenging terrain, this trail network offers something for everyone, from hikers to mountain bikers.
Read more as we will explore everything you need to know about this park, including its history, trail options, and amenities.
The park has an intriguing past; it served as a military training site for World War II soldiers in the 1940s. Following the war, the land remained undeveloped until 2003, when the city of Memphis began transforming it into a park.
Nesbit Park’s development began with the first phase, which ended in the park’s opening to the public in 2006. The amenities of the park include a playground, a picnic area, and numerous hiking trails. The park’s trail network expanded over the years with further incorporation of trails. In 2010, the Stanky Creek Trails system was formally instituted, leading to the creation of more than ten miles of trails within the park’s network.
The park has multiple trails with different levels of difficulty available. All of the trails are clearly marked and offer distinct challenges and breathtaking views.
1. Owl’s Roost Trail – This trail is one of the most popular in the network, thanks to its stunning views of the Wolf River. The trail is approximately two miles long and is suitable for hikers and mountain bikers of all skill levels.
2. Chickadee Trail – The Chickadee Trail is a great option for families with young children who are looking for a short and easy hike. It covers a distance of slightly more than half a mile and boasts a variety of wildlife, as well as a small pond.
3. Raccoon Ridge Trail – Experienced hikers are recommended to take the Raccoon Ridge Trail, a challenging two-mile hike with steep inclines, rocky terrain, and stunning views.
4. B.B. Comer Trail – The B.B. Comer Trail is a multi-use trail spanning around five miles, named after Alabama’s former governor. It welcomes hikers, mountain bikers, and equestrians and winds its way through the forest, providing beautiful views of the surrounding scenery.
5. Wolf River Loop Trail – The Wolf River Loop Trail is a beautiful and simple hiking trail that runs alongside the river for around one mile; it is suitable for hikers of all levels of expertise.
To ensure safety while hiking or biking in the park, it is crucial to keep a few things in mind. Always stay alert to your surroundings and take necessary precautions while traversing the area.
It is also important to keep in mind that certain trails could be more challenging than others due to steep inclines and rocky terrain.
And make sure to never enter the woods alone while hiking, and remember to bring enough water. The park also provides various amenities for visitors to enjoy, along with its scenic trails.
1. Parking – There is plenty of parking available at the park, including a large lot near the trailhead.
2. Restrooms – There are restrooms located near the trailhead, as well as portable restrooms dispersed throughout the park.
3. Picnic Area – There is a large picnic area near the trailhead that is perfect for post-hike meals and relaxation.
4. Playground – Families with young children will appreciate the playground area, which features slides, swings, and other play equipment.
5. Dog-Friendly – The park is dog-friendly, so visitors are welcome to bring their furry friends along for the hike.
Before heading out to this park, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
Check The Weather – Weather conditions can change quickly, so be sure to check the forecast before heading out. If the trails become muddy or slippery, it may be best to reschedule your hike.
Wear Appropriate Clothing – The trails at this park can be rocky and uneven, so it’s important to wear sturdy hiking boots or shoes. Additionally, be sure to dress in layers, as temperatures can fluctuate throughout the day.
Bring Supplies – Be sure to bring plenty of water, snacks, and sunscreen with you on your hike. It’s also a good idea to bring a map and compass in case you get lost.
Respect Wildlife – The park is home to several species of wildlife, including deer, raccoons, and snakes. Be sure to keep a safe distance and avoid disturbing them.
Leave No Trace – As with any outdoor adventure, it’s essential to leave no trace. Be sure to pack out all trash and respect the natural environment.
Overall, the Nesbit Park – Stanky Creek Trails in Memphis, TN is a beautiful, challenging, and rewarding destination for hikers and mountain bikers alike. By following a few simple guidelines, visitors can enjoy a safe and enjoyable outdoor adventure. So make sure to bring your hiking gear and explore the trails at this place.