Millington is a city in Shelby County, Tennessee, United States, and is a portion of the Memphis metropolitan area. As of the 2010 census, it had a population of 10,176. Millington was arranged the title "Flag City Tennessee" by the Tennessee State Legislature. The Naval Support Activity Mid-South is located at the former Memphis Naval Air Station, whose play was tainted in 1993 from a training base to an administrative one. There is plus a general aviation airport that features the third longest landing field in Tennessee.
Millington is at 35°20′12″N 89°54′8″W / 35.33667°N 89.90222°W (35.336566, -89.902132).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 15.6 square miles (40 km), of which 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2), or 0.13%, is water.
The city is located in the Memphis Metropolitan Area, about 9 miles (14 km) north of Memphis. The metropolitan Place of Memphis has a population of nearly 1.2 million people. Millington is close to the Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park, Fort Pillow State Park, and the Mississippi River.
The book Millington, the First Hundred Years by Faye Ellis Osteen (compiled of many stories that can not be proven fact or fiction, relies on individual witnesses and stories handed the length of by local families) and published by the Millington Centennial Committee outlines the history of Millington from its beginnings to the present. In 1878, Mr. and Mrs. George Millington donated a large Place of estate to a intervention of settlers for the intend of starting a town.Mr. Millington requested that the other town be named in his honor. In 1888, the First Baptist Church was founded. It has greater than 5000 members. Its church is one of the largest buildings in Millington. In 1890, the first industry came to town. Since that time, job accumulation has been broken and unfocused. Millington was officially chartered by the State of Tennessee in 1903. In 1917 the US military began its initial presence in Millington. Park Field was usual as a pilot training facility. With the conclusion of World War I in 1918, military pilot training ceased. It was not until 1942, with the outbreak of World War II that the military would renew its immersion in Millington. In 1928 Millington Telephone was established. This business brought advocate communications to Millington and the surrounding region. At the outset of World War II the US Navy received the current landing field as a training faculty for Navy pilots. Consistently for many decades higher than 15,000 military personnel were assigned to Millington. The Navy brought privileged circumstances to the community on an ongoing basis. In the 1980s the Base Realignment and Closure Commission began the process of downsizing the Millington Navy facility. Flight training was moved out of Millington. However, all US Navy personnel functions were relocated to the community. At gift the military and associated private contracting creates a $335 million annual economic improvement to the region. In 1986 USA Stadium was developed by Mr. W. S. "Babe" Howard. This sporting power brought admission to Millington. International baseball was played here. The Stadium continues to be an economic asset for the community. In 1993 the Millington Regional Jetport was opened as a general aviation airport. It currently is the backup airport for Federal Express(FedEx).
As of the 2020 United States Census, there were 10,582 people, 4,136 households, and 2,716 families residing in the city.
As of the census of 2010, there were 10,176 people, 3,814 households, and 2,699 families residing in the city. The population density was 321.7 inhabitants per square mile (124.2/km2). There were 4,408 housing units at an average housing density of 258.2 per square mile (99.7/). The racial makeup of the city was 65.2% White, 25.6% African American, 0.6% Native American, 2.4% Asian, 0.2% Pacific Islander, and 2.35% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.9% of the population.
The average household size is 2.5 persons.
Age breakdowns are as follows: 6.8% under the age of 5, 24.2% under the age of 18 and 14.8% who were 65 years of age or older. There was 51.9% of the population that was female.
The median allowance for a household in the city was $43,779. The per capita allowance for the city was $22,696. About 13% of the population were below the poverty line.
Millington is house to the Naval Support Activity Mid-South (NAVSUPPACT) naval station, one of the largest single employers in the confess of Tennessee, with on top of 7,500 military, civilian, and contractor employees upon 1,950 acres (7.9 km). The naval base hosts many tenant organizations, notably the Bureau of Naval Personnel (BUPERS). Formerly known as the Naval Air Station (NAS) Memphis, a major technical training center for the United States Navy and Marine Corps comprising exceeding 3,800 acres (15 km), the 1993 Base Realignment and Closure Commission relation resulted in significant changes to the base's mission and its re-designation in 1995 as the Naval Support Activity Memphis. The airfield, which is now the Millington Regional Jetport, was turned more than to the city of Millington. In 1998, the declare of the naval station was untouched to Naval Support Activity Mid-South to improved reflect its current mission and the Navy's edit to regionalization. Many military retirees, who live in and approaching Millington in order to have admission to base facilities, contribute to the local economy.
This site was originally established in November 1917 as Park Field, an Army Signal Corps Aviation School used to train pilots for service with the Allied Forces during World War I. By February 1918, flight operations were in full swing, but and no-one else until November of that year subsequent to the Armistice was signed. Two days after the signing, training operations were ceased.
At that time the landing field began pioneering airmail routes throughout Tennessee and the surrounding states. In March 1920, the direction officially purchased Park Field. However, the landing field continued to end until it was Tiny more than a storage area for jet and parts.
Ironically, the Stock Market Crash of 1929 breathed further life into Park Field. During the 1930s the ring served as a transient camp for unemployed workers. In 1937 the Resettlement Administration took higher than the home and developed model farms used to work up what could be achieved when correctly managed land. Park Field remained under this agency's jurisdiction until the outbreak of World War II.
Just as the onset of World War I had unmodified Park Field its birth in 1917, the confirmation of war on December 8, 1941, had similar results, heralding the introduction of naval aviation to the Memphis area. In February 1942, the Navy Shore Station Development Board recommended hail of a detachment aviation base on the former site of Park Field.
The Naval Training Station was commissioned along gone the Naval Reserve Aviation Base in 1942. On January 1, 1943 the post was distorted from Naval Reserve Aviation Base to Naval Air Station Memphis. The main role of Naval Air Station Memphis was to give aviation child maintenance and pilot training. During this time of time higher than 20,000 students were trained annually. Pilot training for Student Naval Aviators was discontinued after World War II, but NAS Memphis continued to thrive as house of Naval Air Technical Training Center Memphis (NATTC Memphis), providing initial and advanced technical training to various aviation operations, aviation child support and aviation sustain specialities coded under Navy enlisted aviation ratings and Marine Corps enlisted aviation Military Occupational Specialities. Training goings-on by these "A" Schools and "C" Schools at NATTC Memphis continued until 1993 bearing in mind BRAC (Base Realignment and Closure Commission) recommended that the training schools under NATTC transfer to NAS Pensacola, Florida and occupy spaces subconscious vacated by the former Naval Aviation Depot Pensacola (NADEP Pensacola) that was as well as being closed by BRAC action. During the same time grow old BRAC furthermore recommended that BUPERS (Bureau of Naval Personnel) move from Virginia to Millington.
Millington is chartered by the State of Tennessee below a City Manager form of government. This city has a mayor and seven aldermen, each of whom each serves a four-year term. The current mayor is Terry Jones, and the aldermen, are Bethany Huffman, Al Bell, Jon Crisp, Larry Dagen, Thomas McGhee, Don Lowry and Mike Carruthers. The current City commissioner is Ed Haley.
The current Public Safety Director is Gary Graves.
The city is served by Millington Municipal Schools and Shelby County Schools. Millington Primary School, Millington Intermediate School, and Millington Central Middle High School are in the Millington Municipal School District. Lucy Elementary, Woodstock Middle School, and E.E Jeter School operates in the Shelby County Schools.
Prior to the start of the municipal researcher district, Millington was mostly a portion of the Shelby County Board of Education.
USA Stadium was the house for USA Baseball from 1986 to 1996. Since then it has hosted numerous other activities at the stadium, including 171 International Games, 18 Service Academy Spring Classics, eight Gulf South Conference Baseball Championships, 17 USA Classic National High School Tournaments, 16 NJCAA Division I World Series, 11 USA Teams, four TSSAA High School State Championships, and 18 foreign countries: Argentina, Aruba, Canada, China, Cuba, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Mongolia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Peru, Puerto Rico, Taiwan, USSR (Russia), and Venezuela.
The Millington Family YMCA is notable for its 25-yard, eight-lane indoor pool and outdoor water park.
The Baker Community Center is located at 7942 Church Street. It was built in 1960, and contains a curtained stage, large auditorium, five meeting rooms, and a abundantly equipped kitchen.
Millington golf courses include Glen Eagle Golf Course, Edmund Orgill Park Golf Course, and the Mirimichi Golf Course, the last of which was owned by Justin Timberlake.
Oak Park, Miles Park, Lions Park, and Aycock Park are whatever parks found in Millington. Oak Park is located at 7930 Church Street and sits on .32 mi (0.51 km). Miles Park is located at 4724 Biloxi Street and sits on .45 mi (0.72 km). Lions Park is located at Hickory Meadow Road and sits on .86 miles (1.38 km). Aycock Park is located at 7330 Renda Street and sits upon 22 acres (89,000 m).
Goat Days is an annual Millington event. This September event takes place at the USA Stadium grounds. It includes many local house town events such as tractor pulls, an ice cream making, and a goat chariot race. Goat Days does not have a specific date of descent recorded, but the thing was founded by William S. "Babe" Howard, the first president of the Millington Chamber of Commerce. The business is community supported and is administered by many volunteers.
The Millington Star is the local community newspaper. Founded in 1951, it is published gone a week, and currently has a circulation of nearly 20,000. The paper's office is located upon Easley Street. It is owned by West 10 Media, LLC.
The skill of Veterans Parkway has resulted in a major multi alleyway roadway linking US Highway 51 to Interstate 269, formerly allowance of Tennessee Highway 385. The Canadian National Railroad serves many industrial properties.
The city is served by Millington Regional Jetport, which has the third largest landing field in the State of Tennessee. The landing field has a full-time flame and rescue facility on its grounds, an instrument landing system, full-time rule tower, and Automated Weather Observation System.
On December 25, 1987, Millington experienced a flood of a 4.1 magnitude. The flood did not recede until December 29. It killed three people and displaced over 6,000 residents resulting in the construction of the current levee system.
On May 1 and May 2, 2010, a thesame flood took place, causing a deafening displacement to residents in the Shady Oaks Mobile Home Community and supplementary parts of Millington. Throughout the city, an estimated 1,500 people were evacuated from their homes afterward a nearby levee broke, causing a record-setting flood. One hundred forty six of those people were residents of the Millington Navy Base. Shelters for displaced residents were set stirring at the Baker Community Center and the United Methodist church. No injuries or fatalities were reported. The National Weather Service in Memphis estimated 10.00 inches (254 mm) of rain beyond the two-day grow old for Millington.